A20 and A2 Trunk Roads (Dover) Temporary Traffic Restrictions
What is happening?
A20 AND A2 TRUNK ROADS (DOVER)
TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS
Notice is hereby given that National Highways Limited has made an Order on the A20 and A2 Trunk Roads in the County of Kent, under Section 14(1)(b) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to better manage freight movements within the town of Dover during peak traffic demand, thereby mitigating the risk of danger to the public from excessively queueing traffic:
The effect of the Order is: -
1. to authorise the closure of the southern section of Limekiln Roundabout between its divergence from the westbound carriageway of the A20 to its merge with the eastbound carriageway of the A20;
2. to prohibit any overseas-bound heavy commercial vehicle from making a right turn from the westbound carriageway of the A20 into York Street (A256) and Woolcomber Street (A256), and from entering or proceeding in the filter lanes for the purpose thereof;
3. to prohibit any overseas-bound heavy commercial vehicle from making a left turn into the eastbound carriageway of the A20 from York Street (A256) and Woolcomber Street (A256), and from entering or proceeding in the filter lanes for the purpose thereof;
4. to prohibit any overseas-bound heavy commercial vehicle arriving via Jubilee Way (A2) –
i) from making a right turn from Jubilee Way (A2) into Eastern Docks;
ii) from circumnavigating Western Heights Roundabout to return eastbound on the A20;
5. to prohibit any vehicle from making or attempting make any U-turn manoeuvre at any junction between Eastern Docks roundabout (A2) and Western Heights roundabout.
These measures are in the interests of road safety and optimum traffic management during peak traffic demand.
The prohibitions will be imposed to the time and extent agreed by the police, local authority, and
National Highways traffic coordinators as necessary, and will be of indefinite duration.
The Order will come into force on the 4th September 2023 and have a maximum duration of eighteen months or until a permanent order is brought into place, whichever is sooner.
Traffic affected by the closure in article 1 above will be diverted westbound on the A20 and directed appropriately by police at Western Heights roundabout.
Traffic affected by the turning restrictions in articles 2, 3, and 4 above will be diverted westbound on the A20 to White Horse Hill Interchange (A260) and return.
Police will operate sifting procedures determining the right to proceed at all junctions between Eastern Docks and Western Heights Roundabout.
The temporary prohibitions and diversion routes will be clearly indicated by traffic signs when they are in operation during the works period.
H Blyth, an Official of National Highways Limited. Ref: NH/SE/2023/A20/79
National Highways Limited, (Company No. 9346363). Registered Office: Bridge House, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4LZ. A company registered in England and Wales.
For enquiries, please contact the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long will it take?
Open to feedback